Custom Search

Translate

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

How to make an Interface for the Raspberry Pi 3 - DIY

 This Raspberry Pi 3 Interface will fit nicely on a Breadboard


So, I made myself a prototype board that fits easily on a breadboard to have some protection for the GPIO ports of my Raspberry Pi 3 and I knew I had two ULN2003A's that I recently salvaged of some old PCBs and after looking at the datasheet I discovered that these were perfect for making an interface to protect my Raspberry Pi 3.

With the ULN2003A in between the GPIO ports and whatever I want to drive, even inductive loads which are notorious for their kickback that will instantly fry your Raspberry Pi...

Well, now I don't have to worry about that anymore, I don't even have to put a resistor on the GPIO outputs because the chip has it already built-in (2.7kOhm series resistor on each input), that's great for me.

And you might have seen that I didn't use the prototype board the regular way but I turned it over so that I have the copper pads on the topside instead because this makes it easy for me to quickly solder on whatever new thing I want to drive from my Raspberry Pi 3.


I'm running this interface directly from the 5 volt output pin of my Raspberry Pi 3 just because it makes it more convenient for me with future prototyping projects, since I'm a big fan of recycling and giving old hardware a second life I know already that I'm gonna be using this interface until it doesn't work anymore.

With this interface it's even possible to switch higher voltages and even the 240 volts AC when I put a relais, MOSFET or IGBT in between the output and the line voltage... So with this interface the possibilities are endless and that's a good thing to know, right? 

What are your thoughts on this, I'm really interested to know so please let me know what you think in the comments below.

I'm open to suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment